Annotated Bibliography 7 & 8

7 & 8 April 13, 2017  

1. Exhibit 

Lewis, Aidan, and Bill McKenna. “Washington DC from Murder Capital to Boomtown.” BBC News, BBC, 6 Aug. 2014, www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28605215. Accessed 27 Feb. 2017.

British Broadcasting Corporation journalists, Lewis and McKenna discussed the history of Washington D.C.’s neighborhood Shaw’s crack abuse and gun violence by analyzing former Washington Post journalist Ruben Castaneda’s personal experience. Through Castaneda’s memoir Lewis and McKenna they provide  historical context of how Washington D.C. became the murder capital of the US, and argue the shift of demographics from a chocolate city to rising white populations is due to the opening of the GreenLine in 1991.  Background

This is a screenshot of the website’s header

2. Argument 

In my rhetorical analysis I intend to incorporate Lewis and McKenna’s  as an argument source, because they argue the shift of demographics in Shaw occurred to the placement of the metro station Green Line.  By applying Schindler’s principle of architectural exclusion, I use this article to support my observation. The article mentions how the placement of the metro station and bus stations has impacted the revitalization of the area, which ties in with Schindler’s method of architectural exclusion, the method I intend to used for my rhetorical analysis to add to the conversation of gentrification’s complexity.

Hochschild, Adam. “Journalists and Historians Can Learn from Each Other”. 15 Mar. 2002, http://niemanreports.org/articles/journalists-and-historians-can-learn-from-each-other/.

1.  Exhibit 

In his article “Journalists and Historians Can Learn from Each Other,” Adam Hochschild, author and former journalist for the New Yorker, presents the argument of how and why  historians and journalists can learn from each other, which he believes can be done through the art of storytelling. He believes it essential for a successful historian to learn the art of storytelling, because it allows the historian to frame a story so that people are going to read it, appeal to one’s audience, and if he argues that the craft of journalism is to appeal to one’s audience. 

This is screenshot of a quote encapsulating what Journalism is about. 

2. Argument 

I intend to use this article as  argument source to engage the argument of journalism’s rhetorical power and support using a source to engage its argument. Through  journal articles I am reading regarding gentrification. In what fashion they being told and what is the goal of journalists public articles regarding gentrification in Shaw or Washington DC. Considering journalism has dominated the conversation when discussing gentrification I wonder how that  affected people’s perception of gentrifcation, which may be happening through storytelling as Hochschild. By applying Hochschild’s theory or perspective of why history and journalism work hand in hand; I wonder if rather than exploring the historical context behind gentrification in places like Shaw has been done purposefully , or perhaps there is a reason journalists focus on the immediate ramifications which can potentially lead to the sensationalize of topic like Gentrification.