Annotated Bibliography 9 & 10

“Shaw.” Washington.org, 17 Feb. 2017, washington.org/dc-neighborhoods/shaw. Accessed 25 Feb. 2017.

1. Exhibit 

The article on the neighborhood of Shaw within the District of Columbia’s website provides a brief summary of the neighborhood’s composition and history. The page highlights restaurants within the neighborhood that are up incoming along with the neighborhood. Hyperlinks make the website easily navigable to local establishments and accessible for an individual to access and view a restaurant’s menu, hours, and specialties. Additionally, hyperlinks make the website easily navigable to local establishments and accessible for an individual to access and view a restaurant’s menu, hours, and specialties.

This image is a screen shot Shaw’s website with my rhetorical analysis

2. Argument 

This website will serve as an argument source, because the article provided a bias for gentrification due to the fact that did not incorporate establishments that were present in the neighborhood. As I begin my rhetorical analysis essay the webpage affirms the argument that D.C. is selling a narrative aimed towards young, affluent professionals, not accentuating or marketing pre-existing food establishments. I intend to use to page to discuss the bias in language that is used to describe the newly gentrified sections of D.C compared to its counterpart.

Schindler, Sarah. “Architectural Exclusion: Discrimination and Segregation Through Physical Design of the Built Environment”. http://www.yalelawjournal.org/article/architectural-exclusion. Accessed 25 Feb. 2017.

1. Exhibit 

Sarah Schilndler, writer of Architectural Exclusion: Discrimination and Segregation Through Physical Design of the Built Environment, believes that the government can regulate the infrastructure and architecture which ultimately shapes the lives, experiences and behaviors of individuals. Infrastructure’s role and impact on society is often overlooked. Individuals must be aware of the power of placement of architecture and how its power implicitly dictates human behavior. Schindler emphasized the importance of policy and legislation, but ultimately she believes that architecture is more powerful than law in regards to urban development.

This image is illustrates a quote of the implications of barriers  

2. Method 

This article is a method source that has provided me the means of access into understanding how the development of Shaw systemically impacts those who reside in the the neighborhood. As I begin my rhetorical analysis essay this article provides an analytical framework so that city developers and researchers understand the implications that urban planning has. I intend to use Schindler’s analytical framework to emphasize how intentional the placement of specific resources and development of Shaw in regards to housing segregation and exclusion.