The Value of Values

Last Sunday, I was able to learn more about myself and my friends in the honors program through our community meeting activity. My top five values were integrity, justice, family, spiritual growth, and community. I think that these are extremely important things to understand about myself while interacting with others. I will not sacrifice anything for my integrity as defined by my morals, I extend this integrity to others through justice, and my familial relationships are the most important ones in my life. As I go through life, however, family might take a back seat to my other values as I begin a career. These are important factors that go into my decision-making process.

Interestingly enough, Isobel and I soon realized that her top value (innovation) was my least important value. On the other hand, my top value (integrity) was one of her least important. This opened my eyes to how inherently different people’s values are, yet this in no indicates the quality of their actions. We have to understand our values and their implications in order to communicate with others. However, if we do this effectively, our differing values can complement each other in powerful ways.

One thought on “The Value of Values

1. Hey Molly!

I’m really struck by your comment that you “extend this integrity to others through justice” and I wanted to take a minute to dwell on what that means. The way I read it is as follows: both integrity and justice are approaches to practice. They’re living, active values and what that means is they are not values in and of themselves (justice for the sake of justice) but that they guide your actions in a really immediate way. Integrity and justice serve as a vehicle of promoting your morals both in your personal and public life.

So the first question I have for you is, is that what you meant? Second, if it is what you meant, can you elaborate a little bit more on what you mean by your morals? How are your morals different than your motivational values? Which motivational values come closest to describing your morals? Where did those values end up in your ranking?

Thanks for posting!

Kylie