Annotated Bibliography in Full

Barry Arrested on Cocaine Charges in Undercover FBI, Police Operation- Sharon LaFaniere

Background  

In my first article chosen, a piece written by Sharon LaFraniere in 1990 on D.C. Mayor Marion Barry’s arrest at the Vista Hotel and subsequent tumult that followed, La Franiere quickly summarizes the situation. She explains the Mayor’s roll in the night’s events and the “narcotics charges” that it was revealed he was being investigated for by the FBI, sighting anonymous sources at the hotel, the police Chief Isaac Fulwood, and the statements released by the Washington Field Office. After summarizing the details of the scene she adds quick interjections about the Mayor’s plan to announce his reelection campaign on that Sunday, and the lack of structure given by any assisting documents to aid the procedure of such an arrest.

LaFraniere quickly consolidates her sources, mostly people at the hotel and vague official statements, to give the reader a basic background to the issue of the week. This information is presented alongside her own, more tactile, observations. “Police Chief Isaac Fulwood, wearing a T-shirt, windbreaker and casual trousers,” she elaborates on the scene, writing that “R. Kennth Mundy… arrived about 11:35 p.m. wearing a sweat suit and hurried upstairs.” Her observations paint a better scene for her readers. Argumentation in her piece is lacking as it’s mostly informational, but she does present the idea that the citizens of D.C. can vote the Mayor out of office if they choose, making her informational method display her probable thoughts on the matter.

Source:

LaFaniere, Sharon. “Barry Arrested on Cocaine Charges in Undercover FBI, Police Operation.” Washington Post. The Washington Post, 19 Jan. 1990. Web. 06 Oct. 2016.

D.C.’s Crack Users Were On the Streets – And In City Hall- Elliot Francis

Background

For my second annotated bibliography I’ve chosen another article written on Marion Barry, but from a much different perspective than the first. This article was written by Elliott Francis in 2014, 24 years after Mayor Barry’s initial bust and consequent jail time. He gives significant background on the ordeal, citing Tom Sherwood, who was one of the original reporters for The Washington Post that was on the scene, Barry’s interviews prior to the bust, and even a call with Mayor Barry himself. Due to the years since the drama, Francis is able to give is a new spin of the effects it has on the black population of America, and Barry’s regret. He even includes an interactive timeline for the rise of drugs and violence in D.C. leading up to the arrest up to Barry’s fourth term as Mayor after prison.

Francis is able to draw on a wide array of sources for this article, from Mayor Barry himself to the reporters on the ground at the time. He is able to look at the materials of the time with a different viewpoint, one that knows what has or is about to happen. He knows of the FBI’s plan and the trials conclusion, which gives the story a different spin than if it had been written in the 1990’s. His argument is new, and he dedicates a small piece to the effects of Barry’s arrest on the black community. His method is more modern, the interactive timeline evidence of that.

Source:

Elliott Francis January 28, 2014, Francis. “D.C.’s Crack Users Were On the Streets – And In City Hall.” WAMU 88.5. N.p., 28 Jan. 2014. W

Wikipedia Page on National City Christian Church

Background

This wikipedia gives a basic background on the National City Christian Church, detailing some basic dates and the architecture of the building. It lists notable church members such as LBJ and James Garfield as well as the roots of the historic buildings denomination.

While this article was useful in that it took me other places, such as looking into the Thomas Circle Singers, overall it was very sparse in it’s information. I found much more useful and in depth knowledge on the church website’s history page. I am assuming that either the church is not wiki’d all that often, or that the history page on the church website was only recently updated in order to account for the gaps in history on this wikipedia page.

Source:

“National City Christian Church.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 15 July 2016. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.

Wikipedia page on Thomas Circle Singers

Background

This wikipedia article highlight the goals and accomplishments of the Thomas Circle Singers- a chamber chorus group established by National City Christian Church and Luther Place Memorial Church. The group is based in the National City Christian Church and routinely raises funds for nonprofits all over the District of Columbia.

With more background than the article about the National City Christian Church that led me hear, the Thomas Circle Singers is still sparse on information. Regrettably I have been having a hard time finding more information on them as they appear to not be doing large gigs at the moment.

Source:

“Thomas Circle Singers.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 22 Sept. 2016. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.

In crisis, National City Christian Church’s members find strength-  Del Quentin Wilber

Background

This Washington Post article highlights the struggles that the National City Christian Church has gone through in the past five years. The man that had once been in charge of their ledger was found to have been stealing large amounts of money from the church- leaving it in a financial bind. They were forced to lay off members of their already small staff and have only managed to stay afloat thanks to their volunteers from the congregation.

This article sheds some new light onto the subject of the National City Christian Church that had previously been missing. I find myself touched by the congregation banding together to overcome these hard times, though I’m sure that was the feeling the author was trying to evoke. I’ll definitely by working this into my final project.

Source:

Wilber, Del Quentin. “In Crisis, National City Christian Church’s Members Find Strength.” Washington Post Local. Washington Post, 25 Nov. 2011. Web. 20 Nov. 2016.

The Big Bank Bailout- Mike Collins

Exhibit

Written so that it is beyond obvious that it was penned by a middle aged white male this article nonetheless provides the contrast that I was wanting to find. This Forbes article discusses the trillion dollar payout that banks received from the government in the crash of 2008.

I intend to use the information provided by the source to compare it to the National Christian City Church, who lost almost a million dollars from embezzlement by one of their own but has not received any outside help beyond donations. I’m not saying churches should- but the contrast is remarkable nonetheless.

Source:

Collins, Mike. “The Big Bank Bailout.” Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 14 July 2014. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.

Communities of Faith Collaborating to Provide Justice for All in Our Communities- Gary Maring

Background

Mr. Maring’s blog post on the N Street Village Blog provides remarkable insight into the history of N Street Village and it’s multiple sister organizations by someone who has been there since the beginning. Providing founding dates, services provides, and linking organizations this article was exactly what I was looking for.

It seems that in a lot of the articles stemming from the area Luther Place is somehow involved, I will definitely be using the information from this article to display N Street Village’s mission and the history of Luther Place. It is skillfully put together in a way that could only be written by someone who was a part of it could communicate.

Source:

Maring, Gary. “Communities of Faith Collaborating to Provide Justice for All in Our City.” Blog.nstreetvillage.org. N Street Village, 12 Oct. 2016. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.

N Street Village Celebrates 40 Years of Service to Homeless Women- DeNeen L. Brown

Analysis

Written on the anniversary of N Street Village Ms. Brown’s article provides some much needed insight on the specifics of the N Street Village organization. She speaks to women who both work and live there who impart the mission of “community of empowerment and recovery for women,” on the reader.

This is a much needed article that provides not just background, but personal views and even quotes on this organization. It is a cheerful piece whose quotes will come in handy as I begin the process of displaying and comparing different aspects of the Thomas Circle community and/or lack thereof.

Source:

Brown, DeNeen L. “N Street Village Celebrates 40 Years of Service to Homeless Women.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 11 Apr. 2014. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.

The Westin City Center

Exhibit

The sole purpose of this website was to originally prove that I had checked it out in the first place, but I think a further inspection the the details is necessary. While it is a pretty website for a hotel it appears lifeless, like many hotels are want to do.

What catches me off guard though is their delight in mediocrity. All of their reviews acclaim things that they don’t even touch on in the website, why is this? I think the biggest thing from here I’ll be including is the reviews, both the good and bad, given by the customers.  

Source:

“Westin Washington D.C. City Center Home Website.” N.p., n.d. Web.

The True Cost of Bank Bailout– unknown

Exhibit

I feel that another source is necessary on the contrast of the National City Christian Church and the big bank bailouts. This source certifies that $700 billion of U.S. taxpayer money was spent on the big banks in 2008.

I think I’ll compare this to the $0 dollars that have been spent on the National City Church who lost almost a million dollars to embezzlement. It just feels fundamentally wrong that a church well known for its charity should have to fall upon such a hard fate. I think the dissatisfied tone of the article will help with that.

Source:

“The True Cost of the Bank Bailout.” PBS. PBS, 03 Sept. 2010. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.