If you have a question about your student account, please contact AU Central.
- On-Campus: For details regarding on-campus AU tuition and fees, please review the AU tuition and fee schedule.
- Online: For information about online program costs, please visit the IR Online website.
- International Student Pre-Arrival Guide: http://www.american.edu/ocl/isss/Pre-Arrival-Guide.cfm
This crowd-sourced breakdown of costs gives the average cost of items such as tomatoes and toothpaste and allows a side-by-side comparison with various currencies around the world. *Note: Please be aware that this website is not endorsed or recommended by American University, and that the university does not monitor the content of this site.
Transit: For full-time on-campus students, the Metro UPASS is included in your fees.
Below are some opportunities MIS students may explore to help finance their degree.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the Advanced Standing application form.
Active Military and Veterans who have questions about their benefits, please visit the AU Central website.
Through our partnership with Marine Corps University (MCU), graduates of the Command and Staff College Distance Education Program (CSCDEP) at the College of Distance Education and Training (CDET) are eligible for 6 credit hours of Advanced Standing. In addition to the credit waiver, CDET CSCDEP graduates qualify for a $5,000 scholarship when they enroll as a student in the Executive MIS program. To process this credit, applicants must fill out the Advanced Standing application. More information about CSCDEP at CDET
AU’s Merit-Based Aid is usually decided upon admission into the University. The following are two opportunities offered at the University level:
- United Methodist Graduate Scholarship: This fellowship is awarded each academic year to one or more incoming Canadian students pursuing graduate studies full-time at American University. The fellowship is applied to tuition charges. The Provost Office’s Graduate Studies provides more information on this fellowship.
- Hart A. Massey Fellowship: This fellowship is awarded each academic year to one or more incoming Canadian students pursuing graduate studies full-time at American University. The fellowship is applied to tuition charges. The Provost Office’s Graduate Studies provides more information on this fellowship.
For those interested in gaining international experience during your degree, you may consider the following funding opportunities to help make that dream a reality!
International Student-Specific Aid
Hall of Nations Award– a merit-based scholarship with preference given to incoming SIS international students who do not have U.S. permanent residency or citizenship status. This award entails 18 credit hours of tuition remission per academic year (the number of credits required by a regular Master’s program is usually 39-42 for two academic years), a monthly stipend, and the opportunity to work with an SIS faculty member. This award is usually offered in the fall and is renewable for the second year contingent upon satisfactory academic performance and full-time enrollment status.
SIS Dean’s Award– a merit-based award for all incoming SIS applicants. This award gives partial tuition remission and does not typically carry a stipend. This award is usually offered in the fall and is renewable contingent upon satisfactory academic performance and full-time enrollment status.
Other Merit Scholarships (AU Office of Financial Aid): http://www.american.edu/admissions/international/prospectivefinance.cfm
Note: International students who receive merit-based aid from SIS can use their award total to cover part of the amount they are required to demonstrate on their financial documents for the I-20. For more information about the award application process, contact the SIS Graduate Admissions Office at email@example.com
Here are some websites that students have found useful in the past for finding outside funding:
The following are free online scholarship search engines or databases designed for international students and U.S. study:
Here are some featured Scholarships aimed at international students:
Please visit the following website for advice on how to plan your finances for your degree at AU: www.american.edu/admissions/international/admittedfinance.cfm