Inside the Wonder Bread Factory

Inside the Wonder Bread Factory

img_0976
Lounge area

As I got of the metro I walked up steps that led to the  entrance of the WeWork building. When I walked in, there was no lobby but only elevators that took people up or down. I got into the elevator and went up to the second floor. When I got off I was greeted by this lady working at an entrance desk. I was directed to the lounge area after telling the lady that I scheduled a meeting to get a tour of the office space. The lounge had vibrant colors with big brown leather sofas in the middle. There was a counter in the corner with a fridge and a stove for cooking. There were several large windows with a door to lead people out to the rooftop terrace. Next to the large windows there was a vendor of some type selling caramelized apples. The setting had a hipster vibe with many young people working at their rented out office spaces decorated to their own liking.  Shortly after waiting for 5 minutes and examimg_0969ining the interior of the place, the secretary at the welcome desk brought me to this table to discuss what office space that I wanted to rent out. She thought I wanted to set up an office space for a business but I told her that I was a student here for a project. She was very gracious and ended up being very polite whilst giving me a tour of the building. There were many office spaces some overlooked Shaw and a large foreseeable part of D.C. After inspecting the terrace, we proceeded to leave. Before leaving the lady directed us to this framed photo of the building before it was renovated by Douglas Development. When looking from a distance the place looks very similar but when examining it close up, the picture shows cracked windows and a homeless man sleeping on the steps. The building has come a long way since its inception as a bakery.

img_0972
Picture of the old Wonder Bread

WeWork and Douglas Development tried to brand the building as a historical place with new and useful purposes for today’s day and age (Douglas Development). Because of the rampant gentrification that has taken place all throughout Shaw, the place caters to younger educated people. The inside of the building had many different design elements catering to the young people using the building for office space. The website lists the prices for desk spaces and WeWork is seeking small start up businesses by young entrepreneurs through their targeting by prices and the design of the interior (WeWork). From drug dealers to young entrepreneurs, all types of people frequented the building over the course of its history. The condition of Shaw and the surrounding area during those different time periods dictated which kind of people were around or inside the building.

Works Cited

“The Wonder Bread Factory Case Study.” Douglas Development Corporation. Douglas

Development,  Web. 3 Oct. 2016, http://douglasdevelopment.com/case- studies/the-wonder-bread-factory/.

WeWork. “Wonder Bread Factory Coworking Office Space | WeWork Washington, D.C.”

WeWork, www.wework.com/buildings/wonder-bread-factory–washington-DC.