Commonplace 4: “Till I Collapse

*The actual song starts at 0:37

“Cuz sometimes you just feel tired. You feel weak. And when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up. But you gotta search through you. You gotta find that inner strength, and just pull that shit outta you. And get that motivation to not give up, to not keep quitting, no matter how bad you wanna fall flat on your face and collapse.”

Source: “Till I Collapse”

Artist: Eminem

Album: The Eminem Show

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I am a huge Eminem fan, so it has been one of my favorite songs for as long as I can remember. It has lifted me up when my spirits were down, and has lifted me up when I need an extra push. I think structurally, its colloquial style because it is rapping is what makes it pop out so much to me. It is just raw emotion to quit complaining, find your extra strength, and keep going. It is saying that life is just going to knock you down so that you’re tired, but you just gotta pull that “shit” the “shit” being the extra strength, and just keep fighting. The sentences are also very choppy, as if Eminem is tired himself saying these words. However, he is finding his extra strength, and he is pulling it out of him to make this rap. It will take everything he has, but it will get done. I think this verse before the song actually starts is the best part of the whole song, and I feel most people will agree with me if they like Eminem.