Commonplace #6

How many boards  Could the Mongols hoard If the Mongol hordes got bored?

– Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
This sentence has rhetoric which makes it silly even though it is a grammatically sound sentence.The beginning of the sentence about the mongols has a subject(mongols) and a verb(hoard) that allow it to stand alone. The end of the sentence, which includes the mongol hordes, has a subordinate conjunction “If” that makes it a dependent clause. The independent clause in the beginning asks a question, but the dependent clause at the end adds a limit to the answer of the question, and therefore it is a subordinate clause . It looks like a normal sentence, but the dependent clause adds three rhyming words, that correspond to the subject and verb in the independent clause, which make it sound funny.
David Fleming concludes his City of Rhetoric by arguing that “education [should be] oriented to the ‘strong publics’ of decision making rather than the ‘weak publics’ of opinion formation” (205). For Fleming, then, composition courses, which traditionally have asked students to write about and accept someone else’s opinion, should instead have students formulate their own thoughts and theories using guidelines that merely push them in the right direction. In other words, writing composition courses should help each and every student explore their own sort of path or idea while they conduct research on various writing assignments.

In my project, I have went off to explore the interesting and spectacular jazz age of U Street. The reason why I picked this area is because of the love for jazz I acquired while singing it. Thats right, I used to professionally sing jazz when I was younger. I might even use some of my clips to strengthen my audience’s interest in jazz.
The trailer of The Polymath talks about a writer that redefines all boundaries in his science fiction writing. Samuel R. Delany is regarded as an enlightened thinker in our current “ violent unintellectual streak.” The trailer appeals to ethos as it brings out the qualities of a revolutionary, someone regarded in our society as credible. The trailer describes his credibility by explaining his profound view is unique and yet it is far more intellectual than our contemporary view.