Derek Hyra’s “Cappuccino City” and Alicia Ault’s article

Smith, Alexa. “A Brief History of the U Street Area in Race, Class, and Politics in the Cappuccino City.” Washington City Paper, 28 Apr. 2017, http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/city-desk/article/20859780/a-brief-history-of-the-u-street-srea-in-race-class-and-politics-in-the-cappuccino-city.

Derek Hyra in Busboys and Poets

In her article in the “Washington City Paper”, Alexa Smith writes about American University Prof. Derek Hyra and his book about the gentrification of U Street. She writes that in Derek Hyra’s “Cappuccino City”, he explains the history of U Street and its African American roots as a sort of utopia. For example, Smith explains how he described the history of being an intellectual stronghold because of the black scholars who taught at Howard University. Lastly, she describes how Hyra put the neighbourhood’s own people as a factor in the gentrification of their own hometown.

This article serves as a background/argumentative source for my research because of the several layers of history it describes and the present gentrified state. It gives my research a base and helps my audience understand the groundbreaking change after change which U Street experienced. It certainly is a credible source which I may drawn information from because it describes a book which was thoroughly researched by our very own Derek Hyra. This article even pinpoints my the epitome of my research on the history-rich and multicultural U Street.

Ault, Alicia. “U Street: The Corridor Is Cool Again.” The New York Times, 14 Apr. 2006. NYTimes.com, http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/14/travel/escapes/u-street-the-corridor-is-cool-again.html.

In article from the NY times, written by Alicia Ault,  the reemergence of the liveliness of the U Street corridor is described. From bars to shopping centers, Ault explains how booming the reincarnation of U Street actually is. For example, Ault highlights the nightlife present in and around the U Street corridor as she takes her audience to different places like the 930 club. She even took  interviews from local students and listed new famous clubs and restaurants that attract many locals and visitors. Lastly, to show her utmost fascination with the rebirth of the street, she gives readers the chance to visit U Street affordably by describing cheap hotels and their prices .

With this piece of evidence, I have found a perfect argument source which matches my research about the cultural-rich U Street . The source provides several examples of different bars, clubs, and restaurants which all have and are known to have unique cultural night scene. It also gives a contrast with its history in the late 20th century which gives reason to the controversial gentrification which occurred. With the different examples of places to go, it also serves as an exhibit source and gives length to my research. Finally, the fact that the author, Alicia Ault, is a native shows that this article contains information which is reliable.