Peaches of Ben’s Chili Bowl and Native rapper Oddisee

Morgan, Richard, and Richard Morgan. “One Woman Has Stirred the Pot at Ben’s Chili Bowl for 40 Years. Her Name Is Peaches.” The Washington Post, 12 Apr. 2017. washingtonpost.com, https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/one-woman-has-stirred-the-pot-at-bens-chili-bowl-for-40-years-her-name-is-peaches/2017/04/12/7a9ccab6-1ee2-11e7-ad74-3a742a6e93a7_story.html?utm_term=.bc5caef5f2bc.

Bernadette “Peaches” Halton has seen it all from behind the counter at Ben’s Chili Bowl.

In his article in the Washington Post, Richard Morgan writes about a woman who is eternal to the operation at Ben’s Chili Bowl. Bernadette”Peaches” Halton has worked at Ben’s chili bowl every since her 17th birthday. Morgan goes on to tell the story about the friendship between Bernadette and the current owner of Ben’s Chili Bowl, Virginia Ali. He describes a friendly first encounter with the two and then tells us how Ali quickly learned to love Bernadette. Ali even explains how Bernadette practically ran the business because of her general knowledge about the neighbourhood. He basically brings the mother-daughter relationship between the two to the audience.

This article is a very important source for my argument. U Street is a culturally significant neighbourhood and this article highlights that. A loving relationship between a black and an older white woman in the biggest cultural landmark in U Street. The article builds credibility as it goes on, taking quotes straight from the two, and taking us through a day in Ben’s Chili Bowl. It produces specific material from the specific neighbourhood I am researching and in a specific cultural landmark I am researching. I believe it has narrowed the discussion for my topic.

Kimble, Julian, and Julian Kimble. “Oddisee Returns to His U Street Corridor Origins, Playing the 9:30 Club for the First Time.” The Washington Post, 21 Apr. 2017. washingtonpost.com, https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/oddisee-returns-to-his-u-street-corridor-origins-playing-the-930-club-for-the-first-time/2017/04/21/20325690-268f-11e7-928e-3624539060e8_story.html?utm_term=.52404f9705dc.
U Street rapper Oddisee

In Julian Kimble’s article on the Washington Post, a DC native rapper is highlighted as he returns to his hometown and returns to his favorite street. Oddisee is described as a big DC rapper coming from maryland. Kimble tells us that Oddisee started his career sneaking into Republic Gardens which is on U Street. He goes on to explain how Oddisee met his fellow rappers, yU and XO, in Capital City records which is right on U Street also. Finally he explains his success and multitude of albums he created, along with Oddisee’s current whereabouts.

Kimble’s article allows me to put another aspect of my research into better perspective. This article shows the effect of the emphasis U Street puts on music and give the audience an understanding of the success coming out of U Street. I can use this evidence and DC’s love for the artist as credibility of the claim that renowned artist’s come out of U Street. I would say that this article creates another dimension in which one can see the lasting effect of such a musically cultural neighbourhood.