U Street’s New Directions and Twins Jazz

U Street’s vicinity

Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/u-street-corridor-preserves-its-roots-as-it-blossoms-in-new-directions/2016/03/17/4b8b1a0c-d58c-11e5-be55-2cc3c1e4b76b_story.html. Accessed 25 Apr. 2017.

In her article in the “Washington Post”, Harriet Edleson describes the U Street corridor as maintaining its roots while blossoming into other directions. To start of the article, Edleson gives us a brief description of what U Street was in its prime during the early half of the 20th century. Describing the prominent artists like Duke Ellington, Edleson tells us the story of how U Street boomed in Black culture and music back in the early 1900s. Suddenly, she switches to the contemporary neighbourhood and how it has changed from being unicultural to multicultural. Edleson describes that it is packed on Friday and Saturday nights with an array of different ages, cultures, and colors. She continues with different aspects of the neighbourhood such as real estate, landmarks that survived the change, crime rates, education, and transportation.

I would use this source as an argument  source because it uses the fundamental base to structure my argument. Even though this article about U Street is more centered on creating an imagine which inspires the residents of DC and other states to consider living on or near U Street, it contains valuable information about U Street. Since this article describes the mostly multicultural U Street, it contributes to my argument about the rich culture of U Street. It even narrows down to the roots of my argument which describe that the history of U Street contributes to its lively musical night scene. This is a very credible source because it uses quotes from residents and the reliable statistical sources to enhance its argument.

Kelly, left, and Maze Tesfaye came to the United States on a student visa in 1972.

West, Michael J., and Michael J. West. “These Sisters Never Imagined Their Restaurant Would Become a D.C. Jazz Institution.” The Washington Post, 30 Mar. 2017. washingtonpost.com, https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/music/these-sisters-never-imagined-their-restaurant-would-become-a-dc-jazz-institution/2017/03/30/2973fa6e-0a70-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.1c8c00295ec7.

In his article in the “Washington Post”, Michael J. West describes an almost centennial restaurant that has become yet another landmark in U Street. Started by two sisters, Kelly and Maze Tesfaye, Twins Jazz was opened in 1987. West goes on to explain that  it was first intended to be a normal restaurant offering seating and food, but it went on to become a jazz club. West tells us that through a stranger’s help, Twins Jazz turned into a prominent jazz club which local artists begged to play in. He also describes the hardships they faced when they were evicted due to noise complaints in 2007. He goes on to tell the readers that through unity and tradition, the reputation of Twins Jazz stayed the same as it opened up for a second time with the same waiters and cooks.

The article that I presented will be an exhibit to my main research argument. It is one of many examples of the eternalness of U Street. Many of the venues which built the network of U Street still stand today and this is one of them. What I genuinely like about this article is that it describes the attitudes of the people which contributed to U Street’s upbringing and maintained its history throughout the change of gentrification. It adds another dimension to my research as it describes the success of restaurants through the years on U Street. I believe I can use this article because it is very credible taking quotes and stories from the actual owners of the restaurant/jazz club.