The Lincoln Theatre: Annotated Bibliography 1+2

Rany, Bob “In Concert at the Lincoln Theatre – Washington DC” International Association of  Jazz Record Collectors Journal Vol. 44 Issue 1, Mar 2011 p. 58-59

In this article, Bob Rany outlines that highlights Buddy Collete’s career; he was one of Jazz biggest reed players and one of the Lincoln Theatre’s most frequent performers. The article highlights what the careers were like of those whom played at the Lincoln Theatre, which was once a theatre for mainly black artist entertainment. I plan to use this article to help me form a basis around what the historical players and artists were like when performing at the Lincoln theatre in the past, this text will be useful because it is heavily focused on a black jazz artists that was celebrated frequently at the Lincoln Theatre over the many years that he played as a solo artist and as a leader of an all black quintet. This article will also be helpful in understanding the type of clientele the Lincoln Theatre hosted in the past because the type of acts they were hiring such as Buddy Collete, are reflective of the people the enjoyed his music; thus giving me a better read on who was attending shows at the Lincoln Theatre in the past.

Hanley, Delinda C. “Palestine’s Wishah Popular Dance Troupe Headlines Turaath.”The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, vol. 35, no. 1, 2016., pp. 45

The American-Arab Anti Discrimination Committee hosted the 5th annual celebration of Arab Culture in America called a Turaath, and this big performance and hosted at the Lincoln Theatre. This event was co-hosted by the Palestinian American Organization. This event is a celebration of arab culture and traditions through music, acting and dance. Famous Iraqi-American musicians such as composer, Amir ElSaffar and his Jazz ensemble perform at this event every year accompanied by many other performers of Arab culture.

I plan on using this text to familiarize myself with the variety of acts and performances that take place in the Lincoln Theatre today, given the fact that these are more contemporary that what the Lincoln Theatre was known for which was black artists and black entertainment. This article will also allow me to have some more insight as to where politics stand in a space like the Lincoln Theatre because topics such as the Palestine and Israel conflict is an extremely charged conflict even for citizens of the United States right now.I am very curious about how this type of political debate fits into a place like U Street and even more specifically a place like on the stage of the Lincoln Theatre. I plan on using this source to also analyze the political bias of the owner of the Lincoln Theatre, maybe the manager of the theatre, or one of the theatre’s sponsors.