Annotated Bibliography 3 + 4

“U Street.” Washington.org. Destination DC, 17 Feb. 2017. Web. 19 Apr. 2017.

This website has page for all of Washington DC’s neighborhoods and the entities and attractions of the particular area. The page for U Street is has a big picture of the front of Ben’s Chili Bowl when a reader is to click on more information about U Street. The first line of the description for U Street says, “U Street was once truly the heart of black culture in America, attracting locals and visitors for an unparalleled music and nightlife scene”. The description commences to explain the significance of black culture pertaining to U Street and how Duke Ellington is celebrated here being that DC is his birthplace. The further in the description are food places that are  popular visits for tourists as well as locals such as Ben’s Chili Bowl and various ethiopian and soul food eateries.

I plan to use this article in a way that helps me better understand exactly how not only Lincoln theatre is marketed towards people but also how Street itself is marketed towards visitors and people unfamiliar with the area. Noticeably, like art of the other sources I’ve found so far mention the cultural history of U Street as the main attraction, just as this article does in the first sentence of the description.

EllingtonApts Apr. “The Ellington.” The Ellington Apartments Washington, DC: The Bozzuto Group  N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2017.

This is the official website of The Ellington Apartments, located on UStreet. The website shares an about page regarding he ownership and location of the new luxury apartments. The drop down menu feature the amenities, a short description about the neighborhood, floor plans, a gallery of the inside, and a tab for service information. At the very top of the website is a link to schedule an appointment for a walk through for perspective residents.

I plan to use this website as a source of the changes happening on UStreet and around the Lincoln Theatre given the fact that these apartments are located directly behind Lincoln Theatre and named after one of the greatest musicians to ever, Duke Ellington. Ironically, despite the namesake, Duke Ellington is not mentioned once one the website, not even on the about page; the description simply mentions the area is a popular one for live music and musical entertainment. Im not sure that the residence moving into “The Ellington” are even aware of why the apartments are named that. To market these grand apartments the way they are and not mention Duke Ellington’s significance to the area is something I would like to investigate more and definitely address in my Essay.