Honors Community Meeting

According to the Honors Community meeting exercise, my top five values are (in descending order): innovation, personal growth, risk, compassion, and opportunity. While these values are important to me, I don’t believe this list is inherently stagnant. My hierarchy of values fluctuates depending on circumstance. And while I would like to think that my values are indicative of a deeper personal truth, that they guide my every action for the best, and that I am a better person because of my ideals, they are much more reflective of my daily personal growth. Which, I suppose, explains the current placement of “personal growth” in my list.

Given this current list however, collaborating with others will require me to exercise communication. I am naturally shy in group settings, and only after continuous exposure to certain people will I begin to share my creative problem solving. Therefore, my top five values are a reflection of what I aspire towards in collaboration.

The most surprising part about my top five values is how much they have changed over the years. As I mentioned before, my top five values fluctuate depending on circumstances. But within the past five years, my admiration for family, tradition, and spiritual growth has been diminished. In fact, I rated those as my least desired values. I suppose this is a testament to my changing moral code and lifestyle.

One comment

1. Avatar
    Kylie Musolf says:

Hi Maddie!

I’m totally with you– I’ve been facilitating and using Motivational Values as a tool for reflection for nearly 6 years now. My values are NEVER the same twice! I think that’s the beauty of the exercise though; it gives us an opportunity to reflect on our immediate and recent lives. By no means are you bound to those values for the rest of eternity; rather, our values are dynamic and often situational.

I am impressed and interested in the way that you describe your changing values in positive terms. You say you experience your changing values as a testament to your changing moral code and lifestyle. To flip that statement around, how has your recent change in lifestyle impacted your values? Are your motivational values changing your lifestyle now that you’ve clarified them to yourself? Do you read your motivational values ranking more as a sort of temperature check of your current lifestyle, or as a list of priorities to work on and toward?

Thanks for posting!

Kylie