test post

I’m the only person from my high school who goes to American, but I have a couple of friends going to George Washington University. Two weekends ago I met up with one such friend. This last Spring we had been talking and agreed that we had to hang out when the year started, because it’s a shame to have friends so near by in a sea of strangers and never see them. We decided, in the interest of our typically empty wallets, to take advantage of the wide variety of free museums in our nation’s lovely capital. So we both went our separate routes to the National Mall and, with some finagling and a lot of texts along the lines of ‘where are you?’ ‘I’m right here’ ‘where’s that’, managed to find each other. Strolling over the grass, we pretended to talk about our options for about five minutes before going with what was the obvious choice from the beginning: Air and Space Museum.

This is a true fact: everybody likes Air and Space. I’ve been to DC on three different vacations and every time I’ve gone to Air and Space and it just doesn’t get old. Space doesn’t get old. Space goes on forever. Think about THAT next time you’re having difficulty falling asleep.

Anyways, we went to Air and Space and wandered around, ooo-ing and ahh-ing at the rockets and satellites and taking selfies with Sputnik. Sputnik is very cute. No wonder the Soviets got out there before the Americans. We both like WW2 so we spent an inordinate amount of time in the exhibit hall displaying aircraft from that era, as well as the part that is set up like a mock air raid shelter in the London Underground. I love museums like that, with interactive rooms dressed up to be from times gone by. Everybody likes to pretend they’re back in time when walking through those rooms. Anyone who says differently is likely lying, or just boring.

After having exhausted the joys of Messerschmitts and Spitfires, we debated going into either the IMAX or planetarium, but the joint forces of our previously discussed financial situations and hunger (it being far past lunchtime by this point) made a compelling argument against the idea. We opted to leave the museum in search of sustenance.

We took the Metro into Chinatown to get lunch and as we were ruminating on our day over hot and sour soup and tiny cups of green tea I remarked that it felt very grown up, going out into the Big City and to a museum, without any sort of prompting from any figure of authority at all, and then he agreed very seriously and then we started giggling and it downgraded to being not very adult at all, what with us both snickering into our Chinese food about how mature we were.

Once sated, we returned to the tube where it was time to go our separate ways. After much tearful hugging and heartfelt promises to go see some art together and get cultured another time, we parted, him to George Washington and I to American, and to the comforts of my dorm room.

All together, a very fun experience with a lovely balance of old friends and new places.