Global Ties U.S.

index

For my contribution this week, I will take to heart Dr. Trent’s appeal to incorporate more personal experiences into the blog by introducing the organization with which I currently intern. This will hopefully constitute a series of blog posts, as there is a lot of content for which I can discuss. This week I wish merely to briefly introduce Global Ties U.S. and the IVLP.

Known as Global Ties U.S., it is a non-profit, privately-sector organization that is responsible for managing the International Visitor Leadership Program. The IVLP is the flagship program funded by the Department of State which brings in international professionals and government leaders, nominated by the respective U.S. embassies in their countries, for short visits to the United States to learn best practices from their counterparts. The IVLP is a successful program for its participants because of this collaboration between the public and private sectors. The Department of State selects the participants and provides the funding for the program (which is dispersed throughout organizations within the network run by Global Ties U.S.), and private-sector organizations, either National Program Agencies (those with a national scope i.e. IIE, World Learning, Cultural Vistas) or Community-Based Organizations (local in scope i.e. WorldChicago, International Visitors Council of Los Angeles), take care of the programs for participants while they are in America. Global Ties U.S. acts as the liaison, in essence, between the DOS and the private-sector organizations.

The program is successful because the public sector provides the monetary capital to ensure the program is operational, but the private sector, whose interests may or may not align with those of the government, is in control of what the participants do, see, and experience whilst in the States. This prevents the government from enacting a program that is pro-state at the expense of domestic reality. This increases the amount of credibility and cache of the program (an idea constantly addressed by Joseph Nye in some of the earlier readings we had this semester), which ultimately benefits the participants in allowing them to achieve their goal of learning best practices from counterparts in the states while gaining a more comprehensive and complete picture of what America really is.

4 thoughts on “Global Ties U.S.”

1. This week I shall revisit one of my posts from earlier in the semester, as I feel there is still relevant material to mine from there. In particular, I wish to re-focus my interest on Global Ties U.S., the organization for which I intern*. In my previous post, I introduced the organization and the scope of its work, but now I wish to examine the issue of its recent name change and further contextualize this identity transition within a broader shift for Global Ties U.S. and U.S. public diplomacy in general to update and reinvent itself in the quickly evolving terrain of the 21st century.

Global Ties U.S. began its life in 1961 under the name of COSERV, which was short for the National Council for Community Services for International Visitors. Proving to be quite a mouthful, this name was further modified to NCIV (National Council for International Visitors) in 1979, a name it stayed with until 2014. With new leadership in the past few years, though, came recognition of the need to update the organization to remain apace with current trends. A change in name was selected as it would better allow for a broader recognition of the role Global Ties U.S. plays in the arena of international exchange. The NCIV name, which although it has served the organization well for the past 30+ years, suffered from the issue that it made it difficult, especially for those not familiar with Global Ties U.S. and its work, to distinguish itself apart from the other ‘alphabet soup’ organizations that are overflowing within DC. Thus a re-branding to Global Ties U.S. was deemed necessary to help better reflect the goals and mission of the organization.

This endeavor to re-brand to improve one’s ability to better educate a broader audience of what one does is something that is underscored by Bruce Gregory in his article “American Public Diplomacy.” Dr. Gregory identifies that the terrain of public diplomacy is shifting as new trends and technologies emerge which significantly shape the actors within the field. As he mentions, this shift “requires a fundamental reappraisal of missions, skills, and structures – transformation…in institutions, methods, and priorities.” Global Ties U.S. recognized this growing need for change, and decided that an updated name would serve as a starting ground to build upon for the future.

*Please recognize that these views are mine and do not officially represent Global Ties U.S. in any way or form. I am writing as a student of the class, and not as an intern for Global Ties U.S.