Next Step of the Virtual Dinner Guest Project Between AU and Egypt

Two weeks ago, my Media Production class at AU held a Virtual Dinner Guest project with a group of young people from Cairo, Egypt, as well as the head of the project – Eric Maddox.(See SKYPE DINNER CONNECTS CULTURE) The project aims to bridge cultural differences and misunderstandings by having groups of young people from two different countries hold a video conference. During the video conversation, the two sides 1. Eat, and 2. Discuss a variety of topics, including social and political issues in their countries, misconceptions they may have about each other’s culture, the state of media in their respective societies, and where they see their countries heading in the future.

969912_10103226661705896_1310998195_n

After finishing our conversation, both teams got chance to select a topic question for each other to take to the street. They asked us to ask DC, “Do you think America is the best place to come to make a better life? Why or why not?”, while we asked them “What advice would you give the next generation of Egyptians? These answers are compiled into videos and shared a week or two later when the two sides reconvene for another video conference.

And here are the videos both sides done answering the questions.
AU Video
[vimeo 91496719 w=500 h=281]

The Virtual Dinner Guest Project: American U., Washington, D.C. – Cairo, Egypt from Eric Maddox on Vimeo.

Cairo Video
[vimeo 91476652 w=500 h=281]

The Virtual Dinner Guest Project: Cairo – American University, Washington, D.C. from Eric Maddox on Vimeo.

6 thoughts on “Next Step of the Virtual Dinner Guest Project Between AU and Egypt”

1. Hey! My name is Ana Brenda Anghelus and When I just wanted to say your site is awesome! It truly is funny due to the fact I use to have a site that nearly had an identical web address: http://www.articles2sale.com mine was only a few letters different. Anyhow, I’m a big admirer of your web site and if you at any time would like a guest write-up make sure you email me personally at: contact@articles2sale.com. I take pleasure in writing!