Chemistry Food Life Hacks by William Leonard

Here is a video by the American Chemical Society about three food hacks (and one normal life hack) for cooking involving simple chemical reactions that we’ve touched on in class. I could have definitely used the one regarding onions for yesterday, when I was cutting onions for Chili. Anyways, for those too short on time, here are the three cooking hacks in a sentence or less:

1. To test if an egg is rotten, put it in a glass of water. If it sinks, it’s good but if it’s rotten it’ll float. This is because of pores in the egg’s shell, which open up over time and allow a gas in that makes it smelly, and causes it to rise in water.

2. Refrigerating an onion before cutting it can cut down on the release of enzymes and amino acids when cutting the onion that cause a chain reaction to create the compound which triggers your crying.

3. You can stop your veggies from losing their vibrancy by keeping their cook time  to 7 minutes or less. Cooking the veggies breaks down cell walls preventing the spread of acids, which change the cores of the chlorophyll A and B molecules in the veggies, which cause discoloration.

Here is a link to the video if you can’t get the embedded video.

So as an easy question, do you have any life hacks like these that you would like to share for the benefit of the class?

5 thoughts on “Chemistry Food Life Hacks by William Leonard”

1. Another way to reduce the amount of irritation that cutting onions can cause is by cutting with the “grain” of the onion instead of against it. Slicing the onion long ways ruptures less of the onion’s cell walls, which also reduces the amount of enzymes and amino acids released.

2. You made some first rate points there. I seemed on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go together with with your website.

3. I had fashioned to leave a comment, man do I’ve a hard time writing
    a blog. Im trying to kick start one on my website and I have to say
    its not easy at all. I do admire people like
    yourself who are
    able to write about anything easily. Keep up the nice work!