Bread Recipe from Lab

My lab partner and I were really pleased by how well our bread we made in the gluten lab turned out, so I thought I’d share our recipe and some pictures. Such a shame we couldn’t taste it! As you can see, the crust was a gorgeous golden brown, firm but not crackly, about the texture of sandwich bread crust.  The inside was fluffy and somewhat dense, but with lots of little air pockets.

What might some reasons be why our bread didn’t have a crisp crust? Did anyone else have particular success with their bread? Any really bad results?

IMG_2903 IMG_2904

Our recipe was:

125 g All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp dry “Rapid Rise” yeast
~80 mLs of warm water (heated to ~105 degrees F)

We followed the rest of the instructions as written in the lab, including kneading for 5-8 minutes, 30 minutes to rise, and 30 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.

8 thoughts on “Bread Recipe from Lab”

1. The all purpose flour definitely had something to do with it. When we did this lab my group used wheat flour and and our bread didn’t turn out, but all of the all purpose flour breads turned out perfect.

2. I agree with the previous comment. The AP flour definitely helped with the production of gluten which created the soft and fluffy bread you had. My group used rice flour and we found that our bread was stiff, brittle, and generally very unappetizing — the result of a lack of gluten or a gluten substitute.