Vegan Sugar Cookies: Trial and Error

This week I made a batch of yummy sugar cookies. Being a vegan, I’ve found that making sugar cookies is a complicated challenge that often fails, leading to a crumbly, burnt or gooey mess. But I was determined this time. I found a recipe that didn’t require obscure ingredients (which is usually the downfall, I’m sorry I don’t have cream of tartar lying around) and set to it.

The recipe calls for three cups of flour and claims the substance becomes very crumbly, but I was determined to make it better. The recipe suggests mixing dry and wet ingredients separately and then adding the dry to the wet in three parts. I figured this was the downfall here, so I added them in 6 parts and kneaded it until it was nice and shiny, and most of all, not crumbly!

I believe I kneaded the dough until the flour and wet ingredients mixed to make a homogeneous substance slower than the original recipe called for, which allowed the flour to bond with the wet ingredients better. This is all in the process – just like the mayonnaise we made a few weeks ago!

Here is the recipe:

Vegan Sugar Cookies that Won’t Spread

Baking & Spices

• 3 cups Flour
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 Tspn baking powder
  • 1 1/2 Tspn vanilla extract

Oils & Vinegars

• 1 cup Coconut oil

Other

• Juice from one can of beans (about ½ cup) – I used pinto beans

2 thoughts on “Vegan Sugar Cookies: Trial and Error”