South Korea’s Unregulated Dog Meat Industry

The South Korean dog meat industry is facing pressures to cease, as the 2018 winter Olympics, which are to be hosted in Pyeongchang, approach. Head of the organizing committee for the 2018 winter Olympics, Kim Jin-sun, said that the question of dog meat, “…cannot be raised at Games time because there is no practice of eating dogs in Korea.” However, although unregulated and unmonitored, the dog meat industry in South Korea is very large. There are multiple animal rights groups in South Korea and outside of South Korea that are protesting to end this industry. Even workers involved in the industry have expressed shame and discontent with their part in it.

Assuming the dog meat industry was put to an end by the time of the winter Olympics, how do you think this would affect  South Korea’s meat industry as a whole?

Article link: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/south-korea-end-dog-meat-trade-in-time-for-winter-olympics/

3 thoughts on “South Korea’s Unregulated Dog Meat Industry”

1. Overall, this is disgusting and sad to even be discussing. Animals have no control over their own lives. I believe that the meat industry as a whole is going to suffer, which I want to happen. Hopefully this will bring awareness to all animal cruelty.

2. Interesting, but also very shocking article! It’s so hard for me to understand all this, but I am from a different culture. It’s always good to know what people in other countries do and what issues they are facing.

3. It is really upsetting that an animal that we see companions, other people see as food. I hope that the dog industry is completely shut down. I think that if it is shut down there will be higher demand for other meats in South Korea.