Buttermilk Pancakes are the Best!

buttermilk

In a pinch and you’ve run out of buttermilk?

Lemon and Milk 

In a 1-cup measuring cup, add 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.  Top the lemon juice with with skim, low fat or whole milk.  Stir and let sit for two minutes.  After two minutes, your milk is both acidic and curdled.  Perfect!

Yogurt and Milk

Mix 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup of milk.  Stir and make it a quick substitution for buttermilk.

Milk and Cream of Tartar

Mix 1 cup of milk with 1 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.  To ensure that the mixture doesn’t get lumpy, mix the cream of tartar with 2 Tablespoons of milk.  Once mixed add the rest of the cup of milk.  Cream of tartar is an acid and will simulate the acidic environment of buttermilk in a pinch.

There’s lots of ways to substitute ingredients when you’ve run out of things. What’s an easy substitute you like to use?

11 thoughts on “Buttermilk Pancakes are the Best!”

1. After the lab, I’m greatly compelled to make buttermilk pancakes from scratch, but because of the lab, I’m most inclined to use the lemon and milk solution. However, yogurt and milk should be interesting. Would it make a more viscous buttermilk than the lemon and milk solution?

2. I’ve never tried this, but I heard that using bananas instead of flour makes a great pancake. It would be interesting to try!

3. For substitutes in cooking, I’ve previously used apple sauce as a substitute for butter in baking, and I’ve had pretty good results. I’ve also tried bananas in pancakes, and they didn’t taste as different as I expected them to, and I’m definitely interested to try bananas in other recipes too.

4. Amazing blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?

I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..

Any tips? Thank you!