Honey Is The Only Food That Doesn’t Go Bad

Honey is pretty much the only food that doesn’t spoil in the edible state. Honey is a sugar but differs from other sugars because the sugars are hygroscopic, meaning they don’t contain much water in the natural state. Honey’s low moisture content in affected by three factors: bees, and storage. Bees flap their wings in order to dry out the nectar, and get the honey into the combs by vomiting it in there. The chemical makeup of the bees’ stomachs, with the enzyme glucose oxidase, and when this mixes, hydrogen peroxide is created, which contributes to its long shelf life. The final step to keeping honey from spoiling is by storing it in a dry place. Combining the honey with water will result in spoiled honey.

Discussion question: in the home that you grew up in, do you recall how long a single jar of honey stayed in your kitchen?
Also, what is your most common use of honey?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-honey-is-the-only-food-that-doesnt-go-bad-1225915466

29 thoughts on “Honey Is The Only Food That Doesn’t Go Bad”

1. Hello! Such a great insight. I’ve never known that honey gets no expiration date. Before reading your blog, I’ve always put my honey in the refrigerator just because I think it’d spoil. I think I’ve had it for more than 6 months already and it looks like still good to eat.

2. I knew that honey has a long shelf life (I think I read somewhere that archaeologists found a jar of two thousand year old honey that looked fine under a microscope, though they didn’t try to eat it), but I didn’t know why! Thanks for sharing this information! And growing up, we always had honey in the cabinet, though it never lasted more than a year – we always used it to make Christmas cookies in December. Now, though, I mostly use honey for tea when I have a sore throat. There are a ton of medicinal uses for honey!

3. Another really interesting fact about honey is that it can help with your allergies. If you eat honey that is sourced from your area you are ingesting pollen from the flowers and plants around you which helps boost your immunity to what ever pollen allergies you might have!! I tried it back in Pennsylvania and it really works!

4. We may use the information we acquire from the cookie
    within the administration of this web site, to improve the website’s usability and for advertising functions.
    We might also use that info to recognise your laptop if
    you go to our web site, and to personalise our
    web site for you.

5. Seize a pen and get began placing together a listing of should-have
    charms that you may purchase out of your beloved jewellery shop.
    Once your charm bracelet is lastly jingling away in your fabulous wrist,
    you’ll be so delighted you did!

6. Banyan is aso an Isreal based silver company with
    a bold and adventurous type. Their statement rings are great
    favourites at Rue B and feature silver, gold, copper and brass as well as
    gemstone elements.. Strive sporting one as a thumb ring!

7. If you are seeking to improve your wardrobe but are on a finances, using costume jewellery is a superb and value effective solution to
    create completely different and exciting appears to be like.
    Store at flea markets, thrift stores and even storage gross sales to come back throughout unusual items for absolutely inexpensive
    and unbeatable prices.

8. You wish to ensure that you might be doing all
    you can to take care of your jewelry. You will need
    to you as a result of not only is there a special which means behind it, but it is fairly invaluable as well.
    This text will provide recommendations on methods to properly care in your jewellery.

9. It can be crucial that you just take your jewellery off before you go to mattress.

Sleeping with your jewellery on causes chains and joints to weaken.

10. Personal data submitted on this web site shall be used for the purposes specified in this privateness coverage or in relevant parts of the web site.

11. I have noticed you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra
    cash every month because you’ve got hi quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: Ercannou’s essential
    tools best adsense alternative