6 Tips To Prevent Salmonella: How To Purchase, Wash, And Cook Your Chicken Safely

Baked chicken

Now that the USDA has allowed Foster Farms, the source of the Salmonella heidelberg outbreak, to remain open, the responsibility of preventing foodborne diseases is largely in the hands of consumers preparing food and cooking meat at home. This article dives into the details.

I wash my chicken thoroughly and disinfect with bleach, all utensils, my counter top, sink and cutting boards. I don’t care what ANYONE says. I always did and will continue to wash all chicken before cooking.

Why reheat the 165 the next day? Surely the first cooking killed the bacteria?

6 thoughts on “6 Tips To Prevent Salmonella: How To Purchase, Wash, And Cook Your Chicken Safely”

1. Very interesting! It is very useful, since Salmonella is one of the biggest concerns when cooking chicken. Thanks!

2. I will definitely keep these in mind, considering how serious salmonella is and how easy you can get! Thank you for sharing this.

3. This is an important blog post! As college students, I believe that we are already mindful of salmonella. We prepare our chicken properly and avoid touching our laptops, phones, or microwave with unwashed hands.
    Thank you for the information.

4. I know from experience that chicken is a bit harder to heat up properly than food that isn’t meat. That can be a problem since uncooked meat can house salmonella. This is why, for good measure (even when the chicken is already cooked), it is important to reheat the chicken an kill any remaining salmonella bacteria that might be present.

These are good tips to think about when cooking chicken. Thanks!

5. I am not sure about students: most of them do not cook at home and eat at college cafeteria. Anyway with coronavirus we take more precocious measures so salmonella shouldn’t be a threat!

6. This is an important weblog post! As college students, I accept as true with that we’re already aware of salmonella. We put together our chicken properly and avoid touching our laptops, phones, or microwave with unwashed hands.