Although our first honors core course focused on a particular topic, climate change, the skills on how to address the demands of a changing climate are skills applicable to the world’s most pressing issues today. Throughout the semester, we received the perspective from three different disciplines. At the end of the semester, I was able to see the connections between science, domestic politics, and international policy negotiations. Furthermore, I concluded the class feeling a lack of hope, a sense that this problem is too much for the world to solve. Although there is validity in my assertion, I now understand the change in mindset and approach that needs to take place to make any progress on this issue.

There is no silver bullet solution to climate change and protecting endangered communities. The solution, albeit complicated, needs to be comprehensive and incorporate the perspective of various disciplines to truly be effective. Politicians need to cooperate domestically in order for international policy to implemented on a nation by nation basis, and in order for politicians to make informed decisions, they need to be aware of the scientific solutions and alternatives to solve this problem. This basic idea can be “rinsed and repeated” for a variety of serious issues with a variety of different disciplines. This is the kind of thinking that will solve the world’s largest problems. This is the kind of mindset that will help society reach the millennium development goals. Moving forward, integrative learning and comprehensive approaches to problem solving will ultimately define the way I think about problems and solutions to those problems.