Categories
Paula I Arraiza

Description Progymnasmata

Type of progym: Description

“The whole scene had an indefinable look of being painted, the colour was so abstract and correct, and there was something so sketchy and merely impressional about these distant single trees on the horizon that one was forced to think of it all as of a clever French landscape” (3)

There’s no feeling quite like seeing the colors of leaves changing from bright forest green to golden and burnt orange for the first time. As someone who has lived on a tropical island for her entire life, the moment I first saw a fall landscape will forever be one of my favorite memories. After being stuck inside studying for midterms for an entire weekend, I had almost forgotten what a whiff of fresh air felt like. When I went outside to go into the city to relax after the stress of back to back tests, I was heavily surprised. It felt like everything I was used to had changed within a mere couple of days. The air was colder than what I had felt in years, I felt like I could see my breath even though it wasn’t nearly as cold. The sun was out, yet somehow it wasn’t shining with the golden rays I was used to seeing and feeling on my skin. As I embarked on my journey from Tenleytown to the National Mall, everything around me felt different. I felt this sense of nostalgia I had never felt before since it was something I had never experienced. The ambiance of the day felt like it matched my mood perfectly, relaxed, hopeful yet somehow sentimental. When I sat down in front of the overpriced food trucks filled with tourists having a bite before hopping over to the next museum, I looked up at the sky and noticed it looked monotone and dull, filled with shades of grey instead of the usual bright blue sky I was used to seeing. It was the perfect contrast to the bright yellow and red leaves that filled up the mile length trees circulating the Mall. During a thirty-minute walk from the Smithsonian Hirshhorn Museum to Capitol Hill, I couldn’t help but be in awe of the beautiful scenery in front of me. I felt like I was living in the midst of Taylor Swift’s Red album, which was blaring in my headphones as I crossed the beautiful city that felt more like home than any other place I’ve been into. With the roman inspired architecture around me contrasted by colors, I had never seen before in nature, for the first time I felt like I was right where I was supposed to be, and never wanted to leave.