Final Exterior Description: Buzzard Point

My site is Buzzard Point, a peninsula formed by the confluence of the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers in the southwest quadrant of Washington, DC. This area has been populated as far back at 1673 when it was named Turkey Buzzard point by Bohemian explorer Augustine Herman. In 1978, the area was used for defensive works and became known as “Military District No. 5”. During the American civil war, the area was used for weapon testing, receiving it’s new name of “Arsenal Point”. Today, “Buzzard Point” identifies much of the urbanized area of South M street SW and west of South Capitol Street SW.

When I arrived to the Waterfront metro station, I was surprised to find such a modern looking scene. The benches and fountain spouts coming from the ground seemed to be newly renovated and seemed very community oriented. It made for a nice child play area in the summer when it’s hot enough to jump into the water spouts. The boardwalks were additionally very pedestrian friendly. The glass windows on the Safeway grocery store added to the modern feeling of the area. Because the grocery store is right off the metro station, it attracts people who strictly use public transportation.

From the metro station, I headed to the Titanic Memorial in South West Waterfront Park. The memorial is a tribute to the men who perished on the titanic in 1912 so that women and children could be saved. The statue was placed in front of a beautiful view of the water, ironically. The walk to the memorial was filled with green. Trees lined every street, making it really feel as though fall had begun.From the memorial, I walked through a boardwalk along the water in South West Waterfront park. The breeze and shade beneath the trees made for a great walk. Being that it was a Sunday, children were playing and residents from the nearby apartment buildings were walking their dogs. The area was community friendly and easy to navigate. As I kept walking north, I eventually hit many marinas and restaurants. Marinas weren’t as full as usual because boat owners were out on the water. The restaurants seemed to be bustling with customers. Parking lots were full. Additionally, I took note to the types of cars parked in the parking lot. There were a large amount of new, expensive, and foreign cars. This lets me assume that this was an expensive restaurant, and exclusive to middle or upper class residents.   

As I was walking, I picked up a strong fishy smell. Eventually, I found the culprit. I paid a visit to the WHARF seafood market. Just up the street, I ran into construction. A “new world class Waterfront” is what is soon to come. I began to think about how the new area will improve not only in looks, but the community aspect of the area. It is said to include more recreational activities like kayak rental, concerts, and outdoor food markets. Through the tunnel on Maine Avenue, the walls were covered in bright colored paintings. It gave life to the road and was interesting to drive by.  

Outside the Waterfront Metro stop, there’s a Safeway super market. When I went inside I thought: “I’d love to shop here,” but it’s too far from home just for groceries. However, being right outside the metro entrance makes it very convenient for residents who use public transportation to buy groceries.

As I was walking towards the Channel on 4th Street SW, I noticed this photo of a painting on a mailbox. This small detail of the neighborhood brings an element of culture and welcomeness.

As I was walking towards the Channel on 4th Street SW, I noticed this photo of a painting on a mailbox. This small detail of the neighborhood brings an element of culture and welcomeness. The soft blue and pink attract the eye, making whoever’s walking by stop to look. The cherry blossoms in the painting additionally describe a beautiful characteristic of D.C.

Here you see me standing in front of the Titanic Memorial. The granite statue stands over looking the water and is a beautiful site to see.

Here you see me standing in front of the Titanic Memorial. The granite statue stands overlooking the water and is a beautiful site to see. The memorial is a tribute to the men who perished on the titanic in 1912 so that women and children could be saved. When posing as the statue, the breeze from the water makes it seem as though you’re actually aboard a boat.

As I walked long the Washington Channel at sunset, I caught this photo of a sail boat soaring through the water. This was a residential area, therefor we ran into many people walking their dogs and some runners.

As I walked long the Washington Channel at sunset, I caught this photo of a sail boat soaring through the water. This was a residential area, therefore we ran into many people walking their dogs and some runners. Everyone at the sight was friendly, and let me pet their furry friends.

4th street

This is a time lapse of me walking through 4th Street SW. In the video there happened to be police cars racing down the street. To my surprise, it wasn’t just any police car. It seemed to look like a limo! I had never seen that before.