“Shall Property owned by the University System of Georgia and utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities continue to be exempt from taxation to keep costs affordable?”
- The root sentence is: Should student housing be exempt from taxes?
- 4 words that stick out to be are:
- Property- referencing the land owned by the University.
- Exempt- referring to the facilities not paying taxes.
- Utilized- describing who is using the land.
- Affordable- explaining why they are exempt from taxes.
The author is posing a question to the reader: “Should University of Georgia student housing be exempt from taxes?”. He does this so the reader can come up with their own interpretation of an answer. The rhetoric of the situation is that the owners of universities and colleges within the state of Georgia wish to have their property remain tax exempt to prevent rising costs for students. The intended audience are the residents of Georgia, specifically the students of the university.