Veera Korhonen

discovering rhetoric

Commonplace: Education Based on Decision Making

[A]n education [. . .] that was designed to support a truly direct, deliberative democracy [. . .] would be an education oriented to the ‘strong publics’ of decision-making rather than the ‘weak publics’ of opinion formation. (205)

In my past assignments through high school, I’ve rarely been asked to make my own decisions. Most essays I’ve had to write have been about my opinions about other people’s decisions, or what I think about decisions that have already been made. Typical education in general forces students to try to learn from other’s decisions, instead of giving them the freedom to apply their own thoughts to situations. In this excerpt from City of Rhetoric, Fleming demonstrates his opinion that an education that allows students to make decisions would create a stronger democracy. I agree with this, since merely stating my opinion on issues doesn’t allow me to explore the entire issue and how I personally view it. When I’m trying to think of solutions to problems, I have to inspect every angle of the issue and strengthen my judgement and analytical skills to create that solution. Therefore, education based on decision-making would create stronger skills in the youth, eventually leading to a stronger democracy.

Works Cited:

Fleming, David. City of rhetoric: revitalizing the public sphere in metropolitan America. SUNY Press, 2008.