Annotated Bibliography #1

1. Voorhees, Theodore. “The District of Columbia Courts: A Judicial Anomaly.” Catholic University Law Review 29, no. 4 (1980): 917–37.
    1. In his recent article, Theodore Voorhees offers a harsh critique as to why the District of Columbia Courts are the way they are, and provides context by comparing these courts to the rest of the country. From the beginning, Voorhees explains how the courts were founded and how they function respectively to the federal government. He elucidates on the functionality of the Circuit Courts, the Supreme Courts, the State Court system, and the Courthouses themselves.
    2. I plan to use this article for context. My site is located in the middle of Judiciary Square, surrounded by Courthouses. It functions to work in tandem with the surrounding buildings, and the history of these buildings and their relationships to one another answered a lot of the questions I had after visiting the site.
  2. Metropolitan Architects & Planners, Inc. “Welcome to: History of Judiciary Square.” Welcome to: History of Judiciary Square, June 6, 2003. http://www.dccourts.gov/internet/about/history/main.jsf.
    1. According to the Metropolitan Architects & Planners, Inc, Judiciary Square is an area ripe with history, on the outskirts of the National Mall, that serves as a functional center for the law. The authors discuss the buildings, their founding, their architecture, and their relationships to one another. The circumstances surrounding each building are also discussed, and how they currently function versus their intended use.
    2. I chose this webpage for a quick run-down on the area. I knew nothing about the area itself, and I wanted to educate myself at a basic level. This is a government webpage and it explains very broadly how the area came to be and how it works. I used this on an “I don’t know and I want to find out” basis.