Digital Archives: Historical / Exterior / Text #4 & 5: District Attorney’s Office

The view from the front of 555 4th Street

I was surprised how bustling the atmosphere surrounding the site was. Granted, it was rush hour and most individuals were leaving work, but I was shocked by how many people were in the area. The streets were jammed, though I couldn’t locate any parking lots other than the one in this picture. It appears there is mainly street parking, which I found peculiar. I blame the nearby Metro Station, which must be incredibly convenient for government employees working in Judiciary Square. The cars in the area were also mainly taxis or Uber cars, I barely saw anyone driving their own car without someone in the back seat. There were very few police cars in the area, I only saw one and in passing. This struck me as odd, considering the federal courts and Department of Justice are spread throughout the area.

Planters in front of 555 4th Street NW
Planters in front of 555 4th Street NW

I wanted to include the planters in my archives, as they were absolutely bizarre. I tried to sit on one for about 15 minutes before relocating because they were so uncomfortable. They contain some flowers, but also these large leafy plants that slightly resemble lettuce. I couldn’t figure out what they were and why they chose these. From afar, they do appear to be large flowers, but these make no sense for the current season, as flowers do not survive very well in 50-degree weather. Additionally, no one appears to pay the only source of color in the surrounding area any notice. It feels like the area outside a doctor’s office or in a business park – very forgettable and industrial.