Commonplace 6

1. “Now, sleep alone most nights.”
    1. The “Now,” acts as a conjunction at the beginning of the sentence, meaning that the clause to the left of the comma is a dependent clause and it cannot stand alone. Following the comma, “I” and “sleep” are the subject and verb of the sentence, respectively. The “Now” tells us when the independent clause, “I sleep,” is occurring. “Now” and “I sleep alone most nights” are a dependent clause attached to an independent clause with a comma.
  2. David Fleming concludes his City of Rhetoric by arguing that “education [should be] oriented to the ‘strong publics’ of decision making rather than the ‘weak publics’ of opinion formation” (205). For Fleming, then, composition courses, which traditionally have asked students to write from a spectatorial point of view where opinions are merely stated, should instead have students engage with those opinions, and actively participate in society.  In other words, Fleming argues that a civic-based education would emerge, that is focused on making an accessible community that adapts to the practical and ethical demands of engaging with others and creating a rewarding dialogue. This idea connects to my project on Judiciary Square, because my main focus is on how exclusive and closed off the area is, and how there lacks a certain acceptance of ideas. It is difficult to engage with a community that feels so closed off and unwelcoming, and one is forced to merely be a spectator with opinions, rather than an engaged citizen.
  3. After reading the transcription and watching the trailer, I had two contrasting experiences. When I read the transcription, it felt more like a Logos explanation of the argument the professor was trying to make. Simply reading the transcription feels like someone answer a question logically about why a decision was made. But after watching the trailer, I experienced a strong sense of Pathos and Ethos. Pathos was very dominant in the speech, when Professor Delany’s voice broke towards the end, evoking emotion and a passion for his students. The Ethos behind his argument also came out more clearly, as it seemed that he was doing this method for ethical reasons and you could see his justification much more clearly for this alternative teaching method.