Annotated Bibliography 3 & 4

Stokes, Dillard. “Democracy Reigns In Judiciary Square.” The Washington Post  (1923-1954); Washington, D.C. July 24, 1940.

1. In his 1940 article, Dillard Stokes offers a rare perspective on Judiciary Square, detailing the lives and activities of the children that played in the area during the early 1940’s. From the beginning, Stokes uses poetic and descriptive language to describe the scene: painting a picturesque image for readers of children thriving in a government area, surrounded by democracy. He discusses the architecture of Judiciary Square being used as a playground, and the legal proceedings occurring throughout the square as background to this showcase of color and joy.
  2. I plan to use this article to contrast the current built environment of Judiciary Square in 2017. The area itself now feels empty and void of life and color, where Stokes once describes it as vibrant and full of happiness. The language often used to describe such a relatively lifeless area in Stokes’ article is quite the opposite, and I wanted an opposing perspective to the current environment embodied by Judiciary Square.
Former infirmary, 1950

Griffin, Sandy. “One Judiciary Square Building Over Subway.” The Washington Post  (1974-Current File); Washington, D.C. December 19, 1988, sec. Business & Finance.

1. According to Sandy Griffin’s 1988 article, One Judiciary Square, a building being developed at the time, would be built to mirror the architecture of Judiciary Square itself. Griffin states that the building had just been proposed, and was being built to reflect the surrounding buildings and blend into the historical architecture, rather than stand out. Griffin discusses the challenges of the building being constructed on top of the Judiciary Square Metro Station, and the anticipated outlook of the project.
  2. I wanted to use this article as further background on the construction of one of the most important buildings in my area. The building itself stands out to me, yet according to Griffin’s article, it was intended to blend in with the architecture already in place. I wanted to use this article to contrast the differing architecture styles currently in Judiciary Square, and how the intention of the building’s construction at the time differs so greatly from its outcome.