Another one of the many statues scattered around Judiciary Square includes the famous statue of Sir William Blackstone. This statue of Sir William Blackstone, executed by Paul Wayland Bartlett in 1920, was installed on Constitution Avenue and 3rd Street, NW on August 11, 1943. The sculpture was originally commissioned by the American Bar Association as a gift to the English Bar Association, but it was too tall for the other statues in London’s Hall of Courts. After the sculptor’s death, his widow shipped the plaster to Brussels for casting and later presented it the United States. Congress authorized the sculpture on March 15, 1943 and appropriated $10,000 for its installation. It stands and watches over Judiciary Square, appearing high and mighty but also judgmental.