Annotated Bibliography

Zhenhua Xi

10.05.2016

Professor Hoskins

Annotated Bibliography

Source #1

Chain Reaction: BGR The Burger Joint, Erin Jackson, March, 16, 2012 http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/03/chain-reaction-bgr-the-burger-joint-review.html

In this article about BGR The Burger Joint based on the author’s tasting experience, and she wrote this review after tasting two burger, one classic burger and one The Wellington, in the chain shop of BGR at San Diego. In her opinion, both burger were pretty awful, and her burger, which was ordered medium rare, came out closer to well-done, with no pink in the center, and even patty was unevenly cooked, dry, and had no character.

As a contributor to San Diego Magazine and city editor for Dining Out San Diego, Erin has enough experience to provide the exactly information to me, and she also has been digging up the best bites in San Diego (and beyond!) for Serious Eats since 2010. According to this review, it totally opposite “the Best Burger in DC”, but it provides the real condition of BGR. So when I choose describe this burger place, I have to go to try it by myself rather than just listening to others.

Source #2

Ford, Elise Hartman (2006). Night and Day D.C. San Francisco: Pulse Guides. ISBN 9780976601340.

In this book, the author introduced that Thomas Circle was constructed as a traffic circle as part of the original L’Enfant Plan for the District of Columbia, and the circle was named for American Civil War General George Henry Thomas. Then he stated the detailed development history of Thomas Circle and its reconstruction, including around additional building projects, such as crosswalk and bike lanes.

Ford does know DC, and she even wrote a guidebook about DC and keep update this book every year, so I truly trust her professional about DC’s landscape. After reading her article, I am starting knowing that when I try to understand Thomas Circle, I should know its history, even the history of the building around it, such as National City Christian Church and Martin Luther Place.

Zhenhua Xi

11.27.2016

Professor Hoskins

Annotated Bibliography #3

Williams, Paul Kelsey. The Neighborhoods of Logan, Scott, and Thomas Circles. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

This book talks about the area surrounding the closely located Logan, Scott, and Thomas Circles has for many years been at the center of a rich history. These neighborhoods have played a part in the great story of the capital city and have been home to the workingman and woman, the wealthy, the middle class, and the politically powerful alike.

From this book, I could analysis why Thomas Circle is such a center around deluxe hotels and some important buildings, because, at early time, Thomas circle has been the center of wealth. So this book helps me to think Thomas circle rhetorically. Not only I just described what buildings are surrounding Thomas circle, and what those buildings looks like, but also I have to analysis why those buildings tend to be surrounding here, rather than anywhere else. In conclusion, this book help me to explore more history about Thomas circle, and it also makes me understand how this area formed like this way.

Zhenhua Xi

11.27.2016

Professor Hoskins

Annotated Bibliography #4

This book talks is a guide of Washington, DC, so, in this book, I have obtained some information about Thomas Circle already before visiting there. It introduces some histories of Thomas Circle, such as when and why it was constructed. It mainly tells the present situation of Thomas Circle, which could help people visit more easily.

I read the part of Thomas Circle in this book before going there, and I can image how it looks like through these description. After visiting Thomas Circle, I will compare how different the real looks and my imaginations, which helps me think more rhetorically. Why was it designed like this? What advantages does this design have? Then I could explore this place through a very rhetorical way which totally belong to myself.

Zhenhua Xi

11.27.2016

Professor Hoskins

Annotated Bibliography #5

“BGR The Burger Joint.” N.p., n.d. Web. http://www.bgrtheburgerjoint.com/

The first source which I choose to use in my digital document is the official website of BGR The Burger Joint. Because this is an official website, I could obtain many information about this burger place, such as introduction and menu.

This website is the main target of description in my digital document, so I have to use this website. At first, I browse every pages of this website in order to have a rough impression of this website. Then I found some special and interesting pages, which are designed differently with other websites, and I will analysis rhetorically that why it design this way, what are advantages and disadvantages of this design. For example, I will found out why this website like using picture to occupy a large place and why the background is white, etc.

Zhenhua Xi

11.27.2016

Professor Hoskins

Annotated Bibliography #6

Jensen, Kara. “What Is the “Look and Feel” of a Website? And Why It’s Important.” Bop Design. N.p., n.d. Web.

This article talks about when people visit a website, a lot of thoughts goes in accomplishing that immediate reaction–the “look” and “feel” that sums up the company and individual. In this article, I could find many points to explain why the website of BGR The Burger Joint design like that way.

When I visit the website of BGR, I questioned that why it looks clean and blank, why its menu design that way, and why it like using picture. After reading “What Is the “Look and Feel” of a Website? And Why It’s Important”, I understand the meaning of those designing, and “Look and Feel” are two really precise words to summarize answers of my questions. So when I write digital description, I just need to analysis through “Look and Feel”.

Zhenhua Xi

Prof Hoskins

11.29.2016

Anno Bib #7

Julia Layton Can the sun make me happy?”  21 May 2009. HowStuffWorks.com.5 December 2016

This article mainly discuss the connection between sunlight and human. It claims that when the sun comes up again, and sunlight hits the optic nerve, some of that light is sent to the gland in the brain in charge of melatonin. In response, melatonin secretion decreases. When the sun goes down, the body increases its secretion of melatonin. So sunlight do have effects on human’s moods.

In my analysis, I tend to show how important of sun exposure in interior design, and sun exposure really could affect our fortune. Because, through this article, I know sunlight could affect our moods, so it affects our fortune indirectly.

Zhenhua Xi

11.29.2016

Prof Hoskins

Anno Bib #8

Ahmadnia, Hourakhsh, Majid Gholizadeh, Mahdi Bavafa, and Rokhsaneh Rahbarianyazd. “Art of Feng Shui and Its Relationship with Modern Interior Design.” N.p., June 2016. Web.

This article introduces Feng Shui that Chinese system for deciding a right position for a building in order to make people feel comfortable and happy. It helps me to show more background of Feng SHui and helps me to introduce interior Feng Shui and exterior Feng Shui respectively. And it also makes me prove my argument more easily.

In my article, I will discuss that interior Feng Shui mainly explore how interior design could guide people to interior human behavior to settle their own living space in a more harmonious place. Exterior Feng Shui, which especially used to choose the location of tomb in China, deals with the surroundings of a building, including streets and other buildings, its shape and landscaping, as well as with the colors and materials of the outside and inside of a space.

Zhenhua Xi

Prof Hoskins

11.29.2016

Anno Bib #9

Schiff, Jennifer Lonoff. “Improving Your Web Design.CIO 4 June 2013: n. pag. Print.

This article introduces some professional tips for improving web design, and I choose one of those tipps to prove my opinion. This tip talks about that there should be no visual clutter on website design that would draw the visitor’s eyes away from the most important part of the page.

Then I compare the homepage of BGR with this tip. The BGR website is clean due to white as the whole background, and the white background makes me comfortable and gives me desire to keep visiting. So it prove that too bold colors and shapes in design will increase the stress level and have negative effects on our emotion.

Zhenhua Xi

11.29.2016

Prof Hoskins

Anno Bib #10

Samson, Janie. “Feng Shui: The Wind and Water.” N.p., n.d. Web. 2015.

This article introduces the whole background of Chinese Feng Shui. It argues that Feng Shui is working with things as they are to try to enhance your life by bringing it into harmony and balance with its surroundings, and does this through the numerous but equally important principles of Feng Shui.

In my analysis, I hold the opinion that I do believe that, basing on consideration of people’s feelings, designing of built environment is able to affect people’s emotion and fortune, even the development of one location, and I will prove this opinion through Feng Shui. So I have to make audience understand what is Feng Shui.

Bookmark the permalink.