Commonplace Work

Zhenhua Xi

9.27.2016   

Professor Hoskins

Commonspace

“In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.”

The root sentence is “I believe that”. “still” is an adverb, and it means continue. “people are really good at heart” is a subordinate clause, and it is used to explain what I still believe. “In spite of everything” illustrates that “I still believe” happened after which situation.

After this test, she still think that I am doing well in math.

Zhenhua Xi

9.12.2016    

Professor Hoskins

Commonspace

I opened a fortune cookie. It was a nice cookie.

I opened a fortune cookie; It was a nice cookie. The semicolon makes these two IC became to one sentences and let two clause have more relationship, not independent any more. After using semicolon, we could know what kind of fortune cookie “I” opened through the second clause.

She complained to me that she looked fat. I told her it’s the pants’ fault.

She complained to me that she looked fat; I told her it’s the pants’ fault. The semicolon makes two totally independent sentences into one, and there is also a logic relationship between them. The second part explained why “she” looks fat.

I hope you learn to make it on your own. You are never alone.

I hope you learn to make it on your own, but You are never alone. I make two ICs together through a comma and use but of FANBOY to show the logic relationship of these two clause. The first clause said that “make it on your own”, but the second clause said that “never alone”. Because there is a opposition, we could use “but”.

Your legs don’t work like they used to before. I can’t sweep you off of your feet.

When your legs don’t work like they used to before, I can’t sweep you off of your feet. Changing the period to comma could makes two ICs together, and using “when” could show their logic relationship.

Zhenhua Xi

10.5.2016

Professor Hoskins

Commonplace

commonplace_book_assignment_720

This picture talk about that the bathroom could be used by both males and females, and I think the target of utilizing this kind of bathroom is disappearing distinction between males and females. And there is a pretty humanized consideration, if you do not like to share the bathroom with another gender at the same time, you also could lock the main door.

Zhenhua Xi

10.14.2016

Professor Hoskins

Commonplace

“Shall Property owned by the University System of Georgia and utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities continue to be exempt from taxation to keep costs affordable?”

1)   Shall property continue?

2)   “owened”, “utilized” jump out at me.

3)  In my opinion, this sentence is hard for most people to understand, because there is too many words, “Property owned by the University System of Georgia and utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities”, to describe “property”, which will make audience confused.

Zhenhua Xi

11.29.2016

Professor Hoskins

Commonplace

[A]n education [. . .] that was designed to support a truly direct, deliberative democracy [. . .] would be an education oriented to the ‘strong publics’ of decision-making rather than the ‘weak publics’ of opinion formation.

In this quote, Fleming mainly discuss about what is a correct education, he claims that a right education should be democratic and consider how the environment could make learning better. “strong public” means everyone could join in the whole society.

Bookmark the permalink.