My thoughts on leadership have changed drastically from the first time I came to American University to now, which is to be expected and is something I view as a good thing. It means I have grown as a person. Back in high school and starting AU, I thought to be a leader meant that you were always right and have to be assertive and be in total control and make every decision. Basically, I thought to be an authoritarian leader, was true leadership.

However, since coming to AU and learning about different leadership styles from the Leadership Program, I have expanded what I consider leadership and have finally settled into my own personal leadership style. My first two years at AU, I found it hard balancing what I considered my leadership style from high school and these new leadership styles that I was learning about in classes. I finally was able to find my balance my junior year and settle into what I think it means to be a leader.

For me, being a leader is about encouraging your followers to take authorship and ownership over the work you are all doing. As the leader, you do not have to be making all the decisions or be controlling everything. However, one important thing is as the leader when something does go wrong, it is your job to take the responsibility on yourself to A. fix it, B. make sure it does not happen again, C. take the blame when needed. One of the worst things a leader can do is to blame their followers for something going wrong to others.

I know my leadership journey is not over and is actually just beginning in some instances. I plan to take the change and growth I have experienced here in the SPA Leadership Program and use it to continue to grow and change and help others.

Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. — Izaak Walton

post