Final Research Design Presentation

3 Comments

1. Reply
    hb7176a December 11, 2018

Hey Hannah! I think the Model for Measuring Perceived Cyber Power is the most compelling source for finding your data because of the singular nature of the existing data set. If you use indicators and methods that you understand, you can be more confident in your data points. However, I question how realistic it would be for you to compile this data from scratch within the time frame of one semester; it might take a whole semester just to reliably compile this data. If you want to take on this challenge, I would recommend getting started over winter break. Overall, though, I commend you for taking on a subject matter that has limited existing data and challenging yourself! Good luck with the rest of your project.

2. Reply
    loriyounissess December 11, 2018

Hello Hannah, your topic seems very interesting and you seem to have a good starting point for your research. As you mentioned in your presentation, the Booz Allen Hamilton Index is not the most thorough index available. However, if your main concern about it is that it does not take into account military capacity, maybe consider using two different indexes (Hamilton’s and one on military capacity) to inform the index that you plan to create. That might save you some time during the research process.
    I look forward to seeing where your research takes you during 306, Good Luck!

3. Reply
    Tina Maglakelidze December 11, 2018

Hi Hannah,

As I was watching your video, I couldn’t help but think of this relatively new study that Freedom House published titled “The Rise of Digital Authoritarianism.” A large part of the report analyzes the increasing levels of restriction on internet freedoms around the world, but more interestingly, the report speaks to the global spread of the Chinese model of cyber sovereignty. I wonder if this would be useful for you. In regard to your question on how you should move forward with the Cyber Power Index dilemma, I suggest that you use the Booz Allen Hamilton Cyber Power Index, and compensate for its neglect to “military capacity” by generating your own small dataset using the models outlined in the newer article published this year. I wonder though, are Russia and China ranked low on the index solely due to the fact that it doesn’t account for military capacity? Or are there other flaws that are seemingly skewing the rank? Lastly, in one part of your video you mention possibly using the G20 countries as your cases, I think that if you are able to, you should aim for increasing your number of cases in order to enhance your ability to generalize more broadly.

Overall good job with your presentation, you were concise and not rushed at all. Here is the link to the report I mentioned before: https://freedomhouse.org/sites/default/files/10192018_FINAL_FOTN_2018.pdf

Feel better!