The Open Learning Initiative (OLI) is a grant-funded group at Carnegie Mellon University, offering innovative online courses to anyone who wants to learn or teach. Their aim is to create high-quality courses and contribute original research to improve learning and transform higher education.
The OLI offers two ways to use our course materials. Open & Free Courses and Academic versions
Open & Free courses are designed for individual learners who are not under the guidance of an instructor. You will have access to most or all course content.
– No set start or end dates to the course – access material any time and at your own pace.
– No enrollment—access the course anonymously OR create a FREE OLI account to track your progress.
– There are no fees associated with your access.
– Each course is available in at least one version using only open source or free support programs and or plug-ins.
*Note: Tests and quizzes are not available in any Open & Free Course.
Academic versions are designed to be used by classes led by an instructor. Instructors from various institutions create customized course sections for their students. Instructors have access to each student’s work and progress. They may assign applicable grades and or credit. Several of courses charge low per-student maintenance fees when used in this way. Students are also subject to any normal tuition fees assessed by the instructor’s institution.
- Environmental Science
- Education & Teaching
- Health Promotion
- Mathematics & Statistics
- School of Communication
- School of International Service
- School of Public Affairs
- Washington College of Law
- World Languages & Cultures
Types of Media & Content
- Lecture & Video
How may I use this material?
This resource is open access under a creative commons! This means you’re always allowed to copy and redistribute the work under the condition that you attribute the creator and link to the original work. You’re probably able to also adapt, remix, and build on this resource (granted that you credit the creator and make your remixed version open access as well). However, make sure you look at the specifics of this license, and if you’re unsure, contact the creator directly!
You are free to:
– Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
– Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
– Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
– NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
– ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.