Research Portfolio Post #2 (Mentor Meeting)

I met with Professor Hardig this morning, September 12 at 10:00, and we discussed the content and methodology of my research for about fifteen minutes. Although I am still formulating my research question and identifying puzzles in my research topic, we discussed what initial steps I could begin to take to focus my research. He suggested I write a memo to start formulating my thoughts and outline what puzzles there may be in my research. In this memo, I could also include questions I may have about the topic. It would give me a chance to really organize my thoughts and to think about my research in a logical way.

He also suggested I start thinking about the big picture. What is the persecution of Iraqi Christians a greater instance of? Genocide? Cultural genocide? How can I use my research to say something greater about the world as a whole?

He suggested I also look at small n comparisons between countries to draw conclusions about the persecution of Christians at the global level. What does the persecution of Christians in Iraq compared to the persecution of Christians in Egypt say about the persecution of Christians worldwide? I am interested in researching other countries and the religious strife within them, but I also want my research to be focused and not overwhelmed with too much data.

Professor Hardig also suggested my research focus on discourse analysis. I should look at primary documents before the US invasion, during, and after to see what changed in the discourse and may have influenced the persecution of Christians. I could look at statements from the government and from Chrisitan and Muslim citizens. My (very elementary) level of Arabic can help me understand these primary documents and detect a change in discourse.

One Comment

1. Reply
    Dr. Boesenecker September 13, 2017

It sounds like you had a good initial meeting, Rachel. The suggestions (and questions) that you took from this meeting will provide you with some good guidance as you continue to read and think about your research puzzle. Did you ask your mentor about specific articles or journals to read for further information on the current scholarly debates in the field? Examining research from different methodological perspectives (small-n case comparison, discourse analysis, etc.) is a very good idea, but remember to not become “locked in” to a particular approach just yet. As we’ve discussed in class, you will need to re-imagine your puzzle in at least three different ways (as a question amenable to quantitative analysis, as a question amenable to qualitative case comparison, and as a question amenable to ethnographic/semiotic analysis) so the more important task at this stage is to start to identify the scholarly debates and empirical puzzles in your area of interest. Keep reading and researching as you start to identify these!