Sciencegeist: TEDxCaltech: Ideas Worth Spreading

Originally posted January 13, 2011

It’s time for the TED talks!

January 13, 2011

As I mentioned in a previous post, Caltech is hosting a TEDx program tomorrow, Friday January 14, 2011 at 10:00am (PST). The event is guided by the original TED conference format, but as with all TEDx events, is self-organized.

TEDxCaltech sold out in record time, but you can watch the live stream here.

The theme is “Feynman’s Vision: The Next 50 Years” and the forum aims to “introduce attendees to two of his core philosophies: making science accessible and the resultant pleasure of finding things out“. Tomorrow’s program is loosely broken into 3 different areas with 12 to 16 speakers/performers in each:

-Conceptualization and Visualization in Science
-Frontiers of Physics
-Nanoscience and Future Biology

While many of the talks are geared toward science, the speakers range from professors to students to entrepreneurs to artists and beyond. They hail from a wide variety of backgrounds including animation, photography, materials science, biology, law, computation, music, chemistry, poetry, television, cosmology, mathematics, genomics and, of course, physics.

You can view the complete list of speakers and topics here.

As a volunteer for the event, I’ve already had the pleasure of talking with a few of the speakers and I guarantee that tomorrow’s program will be one-of-a-kind, full of intriguing new perspectives and barrier-breaking discussion. My goal is to be a sponge, soaking up as much as possible and then wringing myself out into ScienceGeist in the coming weeks!
(I am super excited, can you tell?!?!)

Again, you can watch the live stream tomorrow starting at 10am (PST) on the TEDxCaltech website.

Cheers
~gk