Research Design Presentation

Password: olson

3 Comments

1. Reply
    ag6944a December 11, 2018

Hi Josh! Great presentation.
    -I think your literature review would be more understandable if framed by theories rather than authors.
    – When you discuss trustworthiness and looking at actions that flow from this discourse/how meaning is framed in different scenarios, I think a discussion of mapping might be part of what you are getting at here? If yes, I would state this explicitly and cite Schwartz-Shea and Yanow.
    – I don’t completely understand how sexual violence fits in here. From what I understand, it is included in the protection of civilians, which you are examining as a construct. Are you asking why sexual violence isn’t included under the umbrella of “protection”? If yes, I would include more evidence that sexual violence isn’t included in the construct of violence in the official discourses since I would argue that physical violence does include sexual violence.
    – I liked your discussion on reflexivity 🙂
    – One brief idea: it might be interesting to see how the official discourse on what “protection” constitutes differs from the public discourse on what “protection” constitutes.

2. Reply
    Milena Bozovic December 11, 2018

Hi Josh–

You’re off to a great start here. Good job! I really liked on your actors slide, how you point out that while the UN has been allocating increasing resources to the DRC to help address sexual violence including time, money, initiatives, and organization volunteers/employees, a progression of better addressed sexual violence has not been shown. This speaks to your puzzle and helps lead into these questions of why, despite these tangible measures, there hasn’t been great change. Perhaps this lack of specificity in project aim could explain. I look forward to seeing what conclusions your project yields.

Maybe you do this in your more comprehensive literature review document, but I think one bucket or perspective that could be interesting to look at is a feminist one. Have you looked into how many women were involved in the decision-making processes of the UN that brought these initiatives to the DRC? Or how many women contributed to the sexual violence education or writing of UN resolutions? This participation or probable lack thereof could have profound implications on your research. If women were at the table, perhaps more specific language that explicitly barred sexual violence would have been included in these UN directives and their effects would be different. Maybe even just brushing up on some general feminist literature about female participation and visibility and its effects on politics could point you to what I mean and consequently what to take into account when designing your research project more thoroughly and eventually carrying out that design.

I look forward to seeing how your project develops!

Best,
    Milena

3. Reply
    Phoebe McAlevey December 11, 2018

Hi Josh,
    It looks like you’re off to a good start with your discourse analysis on the construction of the protection of civilians in the DRC from the UN. One of the big questions I have is since you are specifically discussing the UN, there are “Blue Helmets” present in the DRC, and you’re looking through the added lens of sexual violence against civilians, how will your project address the charges leveled against the UN peacekeeping forces of sexual violence and other abuses of power against the population they are tasked with protecting? Additionally, why just sexual violence, is this just because ethnic-, religious-, sexual orientation-based violence is much less prevalent in the DRC? Your personal experience will provide a great benefit as you review and analyze these directives and documents for your discourses and this lived experience should be fully utilized when possible.
    I look forward to seeing where this project takes you in 306,
    Phoebe