Professor Shapiro speaks at universities, institutions and conferences around the world. She has given more than 100 public lectures to audiences at universities, think tanks, secondary schools, book store audiences and retirement communities, from Harvard to Beijing University.
She has presented papers at the Association for Asian Studies, the International Studies Association, and the Association for Environmental History. She has also testified before Congress and spoken at the World Health Organization in Geneva.
She lectures on China’s environmental challenges, Chinese environmental civil society and environmental justice and China’s impact on the world. She most recently spoke in China at Schwarzman College at Tsinghua University, in January 2019.
- Professor Shapiro quoted in the Christian Science Monitor: Following damage caused by economic rise, China tackles ambitious conservation experiment, 2017
- Lecture: China Remixed, Indiana University, April, 2017
- Interview on National Public Radio: As Trump talks coal revival, China seeks props on the fuel’s decline, 2017
- International Conference on Environmental Governance in China, Ningbo, 2016
- Keynote speech: Empires of Water: Water Management and Politics in the Arid Regions of China, Central Eurasia and the Middle East (16th-20th centuries)”, Hong Kong, May 2016
- Talk on China’s Environmental Challenges. Union College, NY, January 21, 2016.
- Keynote: China’s Environmental Challenges: The People’s Response. Bard College, Annandale-On-Hudson, NY, April 16-17, 2015.
- Lecture: “As China goes, so goes the planet.” Harvard University’s Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies. Cambridge, MA, April 4, 2014.
- Talk on China’s Environmental Challenges. WWF Peru, Lima, March 12, 2014.
- Interview: China’s air pollution. WBEZ Chicago, February 17, 2014.
- Lectures to new classes of diplomats headed to China. Foreign Service Institute, U.S. Department of State, Arlington, VA, 2013 – 2017.
- Lecture/discussion on China’s environmental challenges. China, the Chinese and the World: Trajectories of Change, Kellogg Institute for International Studies, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, May 13-14, 2013.
- China’s Environmental Challenges and Civil Society. The Green Revolution in China, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington DC, April 30, 2013.
- Interview: Environmentalists struggle to stop Chinese dam project. Global Post, April 1, 2013.
- Lecture: China’s Environmental Activism Water in Asia: Science, values, and activism, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, March 27, 2013.
- Lecture Tour in China, 2013 Professor Shapiro gave multiple lectures in China, including a talk titled “China’s Environmental Challenges: A Special Role for Women?” at Shantou University for International Women’s Day and a lecture on corporate social responsibility and green business standards at the School of Business at Central South University in Changsha.
- Environmental History in India and China panel Histories and Innovation: An India China Institute Conference. The New School, New York, NY, Nov. 30 – Dec. 1, 2012.
- As China Goes, So Goes the Planet: Environmental Justice and Environmental Challenges The Dean William Parks Colloquia. Christopher Newport University, Newport News, VA Nov. 8, 2012.
- Keynote: China’s Environmental Challenges: Environmental Justice and the Displacement of Environmental Harm. Half the World 2012: Environments, Cultures, and Sustainability in East Asia. Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, NY, March 2-3, 2012. Click here for a PDF of Professor Shapiro’s presentation slides or click here for a PowerPoint version.
- Interview: Severe Pollution Plagues Chinese Cities. Radio Free Asia, February 16, 2011.
- Environmental History in China. World Health Organization Global Health Histories, Geneva, Switzerland, October 12, 2011.
- As China Goes, So Goes the Planet: China’s Environmental Challenges in International Context. Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, 2010.
- The Lakota Sioux in Pine Ridge, South Dakota: Learning from the Experience of Native American Resettlement; Discussant, Ecological Migration. International Studies Association. Annual Meeting. New York, February 15-18, 2009.
- China and the Environment. Maumee Valley Country Day School, Toledo, OH, October 21, 2008.
- Political Power and the Environment in China, Pre-imperial Times to the Present.Organizer and chair. Association of Asian Studies. Annual Conference. Washington, DC, April 4-7, 2002.