Mentor Meeting- Dr. Boesenecker 4/13

On Friday, April 13, 2018, I spoke with Dr. Boesenecker. We met briefly to discuss my abstract and the upcoming poster conference. Dr. Boesenecker was able to provide substantial feedback including how to incorporate a solid first sentence. Leading with the question itself rather than a general and broad “hook” would allow readers to know the specific content that they would be reading about.  Dr. Boesenecker also discussed the importance of using stronger methodology terminology. The use of the specific terminology would address any concerns that readers may have specific to small-n case study research. Lastly, regarding my abstract. Dr. Boesenecker suggested the use of softer language when discussing my findings. I found that my intuitions were not true and that use of softer language can allow for more discussion and elaboration rather than stating “I rejected” or “I falsely hypothesized.” Dr. Boesenecker and I also briefly discussed what to expect at the SIS Undergraduate Research Poster Conference and the ways to balance 4 months and 25 pages of research into simplified, eye-catching key terms and charts.