Mentor Meeting 2/22

On Thursday, February 22, 2018, I spoke with Dr. Nuesiri, a scholar on REDD+ in Nigeria. I explained my project and he spoke about the brief history about REDD+. During the earlier environmental agreements, forestry and land management were not spoken of often. To stimulate this conversation, RED came into play. He mentioned specifically that Costa Rica had a big role in REDD+ because their representatives suggest increased measures for carbon sequestration and reduction which, in turn, would increase the need for financial support from developed nations. REDD+ is unique in that developing countries have a larger voice at the table because of financial benefits. Furthermore, countries such as Norway increase their environmental stewardship. They are able to contribute to greening industries in other countries rather than domestically where sustainable measures may have larger negative economic impacts. After REDD+ was completed, there was the question as to if “REDD is dead” due to the lack of timely follow through on REDD+ programming. Chris Lang pushes this idea forward that REDD is not helping the environmental sustainability agenda. Dr. Nuesiri suggested I examine Lang’s interviews and in contrast read Redeeming REDD+, written by Michael Brown. Should we rethink REDD+ or is it working the way it was meant to? Dr. Nuesiri also explained to me that this is the time to think critically about the issue of forest governance.